Everything that is wrong in „Mozart in the Jungle“, season 4, episode 8 „Ichi go, Ichi E“
Rodrigo is back! And this time he has to manage a household with dozens of kids, as Hailey has morphed into an uncontrollable birthing machine…no wait, it was a dream!
As the lovable series about classical musicians arguing, doing drugs and having lots of sex starts its 4th season, the writers are clearly on the look for new and crazy ideas to keep Rodrigo busy (he’s a social worker! he’s a waiter! he’s a philosopher!), Pembridge in the picture (he teaches Hailey! he humps Gloria! he’s a pop star!) and Hailey as lovable as possible (she’s a talented conductor! she teaches tweeting kids! she visits her parents!).
Of course this also means that a lot of stuff is going on that would never happen in real life classical music world. Or would it? Let’s find out…
„Ichi go, Ichi E“ is a weird episode to talk about, as it is basically the accurate depiction of a Japanese tea ceremony that ends with Rodrigo and Hailey breaking up. There is no classical music, there are no rehearsals with wrong details, Pembridge doesn’t have a fit, Gloria doesn’t get drunk, neither Liberace nor little Mozart make an appearance and it is all about serenity and finding your inner peace (or not, in the case of Rodrigo, who is much too fiddly to actually „get“ the tea ceremony.
1) 5:00 the old tea lady clearly steps on the black lines that “ninjas could thrust their sword through”. Why do I get the feeling that some of the explanations by the guide were complete bullshit?
2) Oh man, this tea ceremony (somewhat of a departure in this series usually bubbling with activity and nervous fast-talking characters) drags on a little, because there is nothing to nitpick about.
3) 7:00 still tea ceremony. It’s taking longer than in real life it seems!
4) Through this episode I finally learned how to prepare matcha tea correctly!
5) This beautifully shot and directed episode shows again that “Mozart in the Jungle” is at its best when it is daring and experimental. This might just save the series from cancellation….what, it is cancelled???? Are you f****** kidding me????
[…] Everything that is wrong in „Mozart in the Jungle“, season 4, episode 8 „Ichi go, Ichi E&#… […]