Everything that is wrong with „Mozart in the Jungle“, Season 3, Episode 10: You’re the best or you f**** suck
Just when you thought it was safe to watch TV again a new series of „Mozart in the Jungle“ arrives, our favorite show that apparently exists in a parallel dimension to our dimension, a dimension where classical music is incredibly popular, where the stars look good without photoshop and where the audience screams with joy every time a conductor enters a stage.
Season 3 is again loaded with the little inconsistencies and inaccuracies that we have come to love, as screenwriters try desperately to understand the world of classical music and very often get it…completely wrong!
Still, I love the show, and nitpicking these details is a lot of fun, as long as we don’t confuse „Mozart in the Jungle“ with any kind of reality. Here we go again:
1) ok, I get that they want to show that Rodrigo is really desperate to make all these TV commercials. But the sheer number of different commercials he has to do is unrealistic – 10 different ones in a short space of time? Is he THAT famous (the show shows us again and again that he is actually struggling somewhat as a conductor)? Even George Clooney isn’t in 10 different commercials at any given time. Ok, perhaps he is if you count Japan.
2) Also – in the commercial Rodrigo actually really seems to dig it. Perhaps he had a really good director?
3) 6.00 ok, even though this behind-the screen audition practice indeed does exist two things are weird here: a) the way the curtain and the screen are set up the jury could easily see who is entering and b) Hailey doesn‘t bring her music with her but instead uses the music left for her by her predecessor. Ok, it could be orchestral bits, but one always plays some full piece usually, and this also often with piano accompaniment…
4) 10:06 Pembridge is a bit of a dick for leaving this emotional conversation with Cynthia after only less than a minute after arriving – directly after she mentions her cancer surgery as well! It’s like a scene out of „The Room“! He also hasn‘t paid his soda! Cynthia looks not even as remotely as angry as she should be after this silly encounter.
5) 19:00 Even though Bernstein took over the premiere of “Turangalila Symphony” from a sick Koussevitzky he is not especially famous for his interpretations of Messiaen, even though he is for his interpretations of Copland.
6) 6) 21:50 Hailey has pretty nosy friends and flatmates that immediately and quite impolitely ask a man coming out of her bedroom if he slept with her. What gives?
7) 27:23 sweet, “Nannerl” does really not know at all how to pronounce her own nickname…